At the Agency bi-annual meeting, held in Valetta, Malta in November 2011, a thematic session was held on learners with profound and multiple learning disabilities. For more information, download the programme for the thematic session.
Following an introduction in which Verity Donnelly (Agency staff member) outlined some key issues of concern for this group of learners, presentations were made by:
- Josephine Mamo – Head of San Miguel Primary Education Resource Centre (Malta)
- Wendy Jones - Head of Y Canol, a resourced provision in Ysgol Heulfan (mainstream primary school), Wrexham (UK, Wales) )
- Daniel Östlund – Ph.D. student, University of Malmö (Sweden)
- Marchita Mangiafico – Parent of a young man formerly educated at San Miguel Special School (Malta)
- Claudette Attard – Parent of a learner who uses the services of San Miguel Primary Education Resource Centre (Malta)
The presentations provided information on different types of provision made for this group of learners and included both school and parent perspectives.
The presentations were followed by some discussion involving representatives of 27 Agency member countries.
After the session, all contributions were used to prepare a summary paper of key issues for consideration.